*(Google) X Early Stage Project - Embedded Mechatronics Engineer* Mountain View, CA (HQ)
Apply by emailing a CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT US: X is a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world's most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. Our mission at X is to invent and launch "moonshot" technologies that aim to make the world a radically better place. We define a moonshot as the intersection of a big problem, a radical solution, and breakthrough technology.
ABOUT THE TEAM: You will join a very early stage team exploring how a mix of new fabrics, robotics, and AI/ML might help people with mobility challenges and improve quality of life for hundreds of millions of people. The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, biomechanics, robotics and soft goods. The project will be in a prototyping phase, rapidly iterating and implementing ideas to progressively de-risk the idea from a technical perspective.
ABOUT THE ROLE: In this role, you will join the project's mechatronics team, designing and delivering a world's first prototype. You will focus on embedded systems and electrical engineering, regularly collaborating with others to solve hard technical challenges, some of which have never been solved before. You should excel at and enjoy being a high-impact individual contributor, as well as be able to upskill other team members. This role has significant growth potential. This is an opportunity to leverage Google's talent, infrastructure, and reach to create a product that could help billions of people. Given the early stage of this project, there will be significant ambiguity but the opportunity to show considerable impact. This is an extremely dynamic team and requires high cross-functional communication, organization, and planning.
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE: Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences from other adjacent domains may be equally valuable; we care more about who you are than what you've done.
- Degree in a STEM field such as Engineering or Robotics
- Experience in electrical engineering and embedded systems for robotics
- Knowledge of PCB layout and prototyping
- Strong programming skills in Python and C
- Experience with autonomous and real time embedded systems
- Experience with discrete time signal processing
- Experience with BLDC electromechanical systems (e.g. motors, drives, commutation)
- Experience integrating sensors / peripherals, and digital communication protocols
- Background in linear and nonlinear control theory
- Demonstrated mastery of early-stage engineering, experience on several high-performance engineering teams, and ownership of complex, integrated robotics projects
- Strong entrepreneurial traits, especially persistence and resourcefulness
- Empathy, customer focus and a strong passion for impact
- Ideally, experience with wearable robotics, assistive technologies or consumer products
YOU SHOULD BE PREPARED TO:
- Be biased to action and will 'roll up your sleeves'. Thrive in ambiguity
- Drive impact, fall in love with problems, not solutions. Fail often,
- Engineer on the edge of reasonableness; a rag-tag crew of scientists,
generalists, operating with unrealistic expectations and a low probability
- Be a source of joy, inspiration and creativity to the team. Wear jorts
At X, we don't just accept differences - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from interested applicants.
Elliott J Rouse PhD
Lead Technical Advisor | X
Assistant Professor | University of Michigan
firstname.lastname@example.org | x.company